Sand Table in Kinder??


Everytime I tell someone I have a sand table in my kinder room, I get funny looks.....like are you serious???? I love the sand table!!!! Normally, I start the year using it as simply a "play" center. I teach in a school where kindergarten is typically the first experience my kiddos have with school (very limited pre-k program and even that is half-day). So, the sand table is something they can do and enjoy from day one.

I usually leave the sand table open for the first month of school. At the end of the first month, I make a HUGE deal about how much they've learned and we close the sand table (with the table closed the top becomes our word study center). The kids quickly forget about the sand.....and life goes on.


But, I have decided to pull out the sand again! I placed a whole bunch of letters in the boxed and covered them with sand.

Now, the kids use the sand as a choice in our word study center. Basically, they have a   recording sheet. 

1. They choose a word wall word and hunt for the letters they need to make that word wall word. 
2. Then once they have made the word - they write it in a cute bear! 
3. Finally they get to grab a Teddy Graham and make it disappear!


Hope you enjoy!